We really needed a home office and our house didn’t have one… so like many of you in my fix…. what do you do… but turn a formal room that is used very little, into that much needed space.
What we have done so far:
Purchased a desk on sale a few years ago at Arhaus. Fortunately, the back side of the desk was finished off so the thought of facing it out worked perfect. Next, we bought 2 tall bookcases at Target and shelf baskets for organization (I think from Walmart). One day we might need to switch it back to a dining area, but for now it meets our needs.
I don’t really have a before….here is before as it gets…
I really don’t want our space to look like a dining room turned into an office….
so I still have a few things to work on:
1. The tray ceiling makes it seem more dining roomish to me.
2. Chandelier has to go.
3. does wainscoting half way up the wall…. look dining roomish to you?
1. Remove the chandelier all together and install can lighting ( that won’t happen)
2 Remove current light and install a drum shade closer to the ceiling.
3. Totally remove the light and put beadboard wall paper up in the tray (* see note at bottom of the page) which covers the light fixture hole This is one of my favorite ideas.
4. Remove the chandelier, add beadboard wall paper and change light fixture to a drum shade.
5. Box out some trim molding above the wainscoting and paint the whole wall white so it all looks like a paneled wall.
see this picture… it’s a piece that hangs down over our kitchen island. We worked on beadbord wall papering this small area…. yesterday.
my husband, who has never wall papered before said he will never ever, never, he said “EVER wall paper again…and don’t ask him
Hehe.. it actually got comical…I have to admit it was very stressful. The paper did not want to stick. I guess that means “No” to doing my entire kitchen ceiling or even my tray ceiling in my former dining room. My mom will help me she’s good at things like that. My husband and I were laughing after the wall papering event and I said… “I think it would be a good prerequisite to marrige for a couple to go in a blank room and remodel it together, including hanging wall paper on the ceiling…. if they can get through that, they can get through anything.”