Kitchen update: 2 cupboards without a special purpose

I decided to join the many who have taken the doors off  their cupboards.

Honestly, I wanted to do it earlier but I was worried about dog hair. If you have a Lab you know how dog hair flies.

Here is a picture of before. I almost forgot to snap a picture of the event… so this is with one door down.

The whole process took about an hour and a half….if that.

Yes, that is an example of a hodge podge cupboard with no special purpose. It holds everything from a gravy dish to vitamins.

BTW that’s my mom holding the door. She is so sweet, she was over today and I just had this whim…and she went along with it :) Thanks Mom!!  She helps me soooo much!!

Notice we didn’t even

paint the insides….actually, the wood grain is kinda cool looking. What do you think? paint or not to paint?

My mom is an amazing mom, she even took out the corner garage cupboard for me.

See the gray laminate inside….

That’s no problem I just added more bead board wallpaper

Guess what? The hubs isn’t really liking the look…..

Hopefully he warms up to the idea or the doors go back on :(

I told him this is nothing. I want to take several cabinets totally down and just put up shelves.

He thought that was crazy. Obviously, he hasn’t been looking at home decor magazines!! :)

I’ll have to show him some photos from magazines and blogland…he’ll surely change is mind :)

PS I added this after the post was up for awhile….

Oh, I forgot to mention I really don’t like the black laminate trim around the edge of the counter. But until we get different counters, I’m kind of stuck with it…..hmmm unless I paint it. My mom suggested white. I don’t think I’ll be able to find a gray that matches because of all the different color variations in the counter.  Anyone ever painted the edge of their counter?

Linking to:

Transformation ThursdayChic on a Shoestring Decorating

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Comments

1. says

Aren’t moms the best!? I sort of like the no-paint option. What if you live with it for a month and decide? Love the open shelving!

-Rene

2. says

Oh- I like it! I like the natural wood because it showcases your beautiful white dishes. This would also integrate your natural elements into your space, i.e. baskets, natural wood, etc. It gives a nice contrast.

3. says

Rene’ I noticed you and your mom love doing things together too :) Mom’s are the best!!
    I like the idea of living with it for a month and then deciding. I’ll see if my husband holds out that long :) I need to show him photos to prove this isn’t weird :)

4. Anna says

Keep it natural. Everything in your kitchen is white … From the dishes to your kitchen aid mixer (which I love!). The natural look makes it non matchy matchy (as my mom would say). I also love it with the grey counter tops. If your husband makes you put them back up, maybe you can compromise with glass window/type cabinets to see in. I’ve got my corner cabinet like that. Looks good and I still show off my dishes.

5. Christine Aldinger says

oh i would keep the wood background your dishes show up so good……maybe he would go with glass inserts in your doors and you could stop worryin bout dog hair..hmmm

6. Melinda P says

How about a chrome or brushed chrome edge for your countertops? At our first house we had a similar issue and went to a restaurant supply company – who also make restaurant furnishings, and bought several pieces of chrome table edging. It was really inexpensive, and pretty simple to install. It just took running a router around the edge of the counters to cut in a slot and the edge banding snaps in. They were happy to sell to a homeowner and gave us a great price! It really looked great with the white kitchen and turqoise countertops – kinda a retro 50’s farmhouse kitchen.

7. Carolyn says

What about maybe painting inside the cabinet a gray to tie in with your countertop… Love your blog!

8. says

Libby,
    Thank you for the link up….great blog!! I am wondering if I would have a more difficult time keeping paint on my edge because mine is laminate and not wood.
    That is what I’m worried about. Thank you so much for sharing your comment and your part about the hubbies made me laugh!!:) It is true!!

9. Debra says

Love your blog. Leave the wooden look behind the dishes alone. Is already perfect.
    You can do wooden look on your edge to match it, by using a contact paper strip. I like
    someone’s else idea of using brushed chrome edging. Sounds high tech.

Would you please do an article on under cabinet lighting? We’ve had halogen pucks and they’re awful. Expensive, always burning out, and creating too much heat. We need new ones, which ones do you suggest? Thanks for all of your creative ideas.

PS – Don’t listen to hubby!

10. says

I love the beadboard wallpaper! And I would definitely not paint the inside of the cupboard, I love the wood with the basket on the counter and all that white! Beautiful!!

11. Lorena says

oh do NOT paint the insides of the cabinets, they look outstanding without the doors. I’m sure to follow the rest of your endeavour.

12. says

i’ve been nutty busy lately (it was my bday yesterday….wooohooo!!)
    so, i’ll respond to your last post when i get a min. to read….
    but i had to scroll thru these pics cuz i love a makeover…..love the doors OFF….
    my two cents worth: i’d use Melinda’s advice, chrome edge idea and then love the other reader that said grey paint….even a rich warm grey….try Restoration Hardware’s grey colors…..will make the white pottery pop!
    xox

13. says

Debra,
    Thank you for your comment. I’m glad you mentioned lighting. It has been something on my mind tto.
    I don’t have an answer for you, but I was going to research it for myself.
    I’ll post when I get it figured out for us. If you figure out something sooner let me know :)
    Thanks

14. says

Melinda,
    Thank you so much for the link!! I will show it to my husband and see what he thinks! It seems like a really good solution.
    I’m also going to give it to a friend of mine who might also be interested. The other option is to get new counters:)

15. says

I’m not sure why my comments don’t respond in the right order for each person…. it’s crazy because I push reply to the individual comment each time ….hmmmm anyone know why that happens??

16. says

I used to work for a property management co. painting. If the edges of the cabinets were scratched up I would paint them the same color as the walls (antique white). I thought it looked good. I also painted alot of baseboard heaters and trim work.
    I wonder what my hubby would do if I took the doors off ours?? I’m kinda loving the look.

17. says

Marilyn, you might like yours off…but don’t say I told you to…lol I didn’t ask first because I knew he would say no I don’t like the idea. I decided to take them off and see the reaction…. I knew they would be able to go back up in a snap. The cool thing is, it’s kind of like a hutch, but with usable everyday types of dishes.

18. says

I really like the look, but like your hubby I dont think mine would go for it. I love the look of the woodgrain especially with the natural basket.

19. says

Hoosier. Sorry I need to add that we don’t have a dog anymore so the hair isn’t an issue. If I had a dog still… I’d probably go for the glass doors.
    If you have a shed machine you know what it’s like.

Trackbacks