It’s Memorial Day! This is the weekend when most people are ready to kick-off summer with a barbecue and some good friends on their day off. And while those moments are fun, Memorial Day is so much more than that. It’s a time to reflect on the freedoms bought for us with the lives of men and women who served in the face of danger to protect the values and ideals of our country. So here are some things you can do to honor them today:
1) Observe the National Moment of Rememberance. This moment was establshed in 2000 and is officially set for 3 p.m. local time. Let’s take that moment to unite with our nation to remember the great sacrifices of our fallen and thank God for the freedoms we have.
Credit to: libertyflags.com
2) Visit a local cemetery and decorate military graves. It’s so sad to me when I see cemeteries that have no flowers or flags and are not well kept. Many graves have a marker indicating that they were a military member.
3) Make poppies and hand them out or sell them and give the donations to military families in need. This tradition was started all the way back in 1915 when Moina Michael first wore and sold poppies in honor of veterans, inspired by the poem “In Flander’s Fields.” Here are some instructions on how to make paper poppies.
4) Display our colors proudly whether by hanging flags or wearing red, white and blue. Don’t forget to utilize proper etiquette for flag display. You could also display our colors with a yummy treat at your Memorial Day barbecue with a simple fruit and cheese tray like the one below! Credit to: theBerry
5) Thank or visit a living veteran. If you don’t know anyone, call your local VFW and ask if they know of anyone who could use a visit. Thank those who are living and express your deep gratitude for our freedoms today.
If you have any great Memorial Day ideas to honor vets please share them in the comments below! And have a safe and happy Memorial Day!