Our new Dry erase board:It’s so much fun and easy to make!

Do you remember the last post I did on dry erase boards? I shared two different options on how to make

your own huge one for a

lot less than what the office supply stores charge.

One way to make one is with dry erase board paint. The other option is by purchasing

a 4×8 sheet of white panel board from Lowe’s or Home Depot.

I decided to go with the quickest and easiest of the two and that is the panel board option. It is so easy. I just bought a 4×8 sheet at Home Depot for $11.87 and had them cut it to size. I decided to have them cut it in 3 pieces.

2- 3×4 pieces and the left over size is 2×4 ft. The great thing is once it was cut, I didn’t have to worry about it fitting in my vehicle and I could start working on it right away without making a mess at home. I also picked out the frame board and had them cut that too.  When we got home we just lined up the frame and my mom helped me screw the 3/4 inch screws on the backside to hold the frame in place.

You can see lines where the frame boards come together, but it doesn’t bother me. I didn’t even paint it…. it’s primed MDF board and it looks really good!!  I can always paint it later and change the color, but I really like it white. The whole thing just blends in with all the woodwork and has a nice light look.  I was going to do chalkboard, but I was worried the room would feel a bit dark. There isn’t a lot of natural light in the office.

As you can see above the total cost for each large board is approx. $14.49 without tax. Office Max has a 3’x4′ for $109.00 they also have a 6’x4′ – 279.99  8×4-$339.99.  Those would be so easy to duplicate.

So now that the project is done we’ve been having so much fun! It is so versatile… We’ve used it for everything from a calendar to playing hangman…our son even left some funny quotes from Princess Bride…

This was another mother-daughter project :)  Thanks Mom :)

Transformation Thursday

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Comments

1. says

I love this. I want make each of my kids one of these for their rooms, maybe they would draw on the walls a little less!!

2. jo says

Nice. Does the dry erase marker wipe off of the panel board as well as the dry erase paint? Tx

3. says

Thank you all for your sweet comments!
    Jo, I’m not sure I understand what you mean. The surface of the panelboard doesn’t seem to be coming off when I wipe the dry erase marker off. I hope that is what you were asking. The board is new so I can’t give a testimony for how long it lasts. I don’t plan on having a problem with it.I did buy a little spray cleaner that came in a set with the markers and eraser. It does need the cleaner to get the board perfectly clean again.

4. billi says

what a great idea!! I’m still using the mirrors around the house to leave notes for everyone. love your fashionable idea.

5. Michelle says

Hi. I am glad that I stumbled upon your site, because I am hoping for some advice. I am attempting to make my own “black” dry erase board (used with neon or white dry erase markers). Do you know if the panel board comes in black. I would like to customize the size of my board, and I just don’t want to pay the exorbitant costs that come with it. I would LOVE for my board to be magnetic, but unless there is a black spray paint that I can use dry erase markers with, then I’m out of luck. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

6. says

I’ve duplicated this project various times and am about to do so again in my home office. It’s perfect! If you would like to add some semi-permanent lines, say to keep the borders of a monthly calendar intact or create a budget chart – try using pin striping tape found at automotive shops, like PetBoys or Autozone (also online). Each roll costs about $7+ depending on color and width of tape. This tape is designed to stay put (while car is painted) and be removed without leaving adhesive residue. For large surfaces, you can use a yard stick and a small dry-erase marker to denote where the tape will be adhered in a straight line. Do not use a permanent marker unless you plan to leave the tape in the same place forever.

Happy DIYing!
    -www.PatriciadelaGarza.com

7. Brittany says

Hello there! I am wondering how this board has held up? Have the markers left any “phantom” marks after being erased over and over? I am looking to make this for my homeschool room so it would get daily use. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated :)

8. says

The board has held up really well. I don’t use it on a daily basis so I can’t honestly say how well it will hold up over time. There is a special cleaner you can get that takes the marks off. It is a little spray bottle that comes with the markers.

9. Justin says

What is the product name for the backing of the frame. You mention it as “frame board”. I’m trying to find it, but can’t.

10. Haigh Zoo says

Just curious – How did you attach it to the wall? I’m afraid it will “rock” if hung using picture hanging hardware.

11. says

Hi,
    I didn’t attach mine to the wall. I have a ledge I set it on.
    I would attach it to the wall if I had younger children.
    Thanks for your comment :)

12. the13thdistrict says

I am currently trying this myself. I went to home depot today and bought the board, but they refused to cut it saying it would not be a clean cut on their machinery saying it was designed for wood. Did you have this kind of trouble? Do you know what saw they used to cut the board?

13. says

Sorry, I don’t remember what saw they used. Maybe it was just the person who was helping you. My mom and I had no trouble.
    The trim will cover the sides anyway so it won’t be a problem what the cut looks like. But whatever they used it was a clean cut.
    Hope you can find a way to cut it. Or just make a really big board. That would be cool too.

14. l77onica says

@the13thdistrict: I just got my boards from Home Depot tonight. They sell pre cut boards that measure 4ft by 32 in. Got 3 of those to cover a 4ft by 8ft area. Hope it helps! @bargain hoot: Thanks for the idea! =)

15. Ana says

Thank for your great idea! I have been looking for a custom sized dry erase board to put as a table top in my craft room. Everywhere I looked would’ve cost me over a hundred dollars. You have saved me so much money. Thank you!!

Trackbacks

1. […] out Bargain Hoots for a tutorial on how to make a dry erase board. Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a […]